AP – Here is a list of earthquakes that registered at least magnitude 8.6.
- May 22, 1960: A magnitude 9.5 earthquake in southern Chile and ensuing tsunami killed at least 1,716 people.
- Jan. 26, 1700: A magnitude 9.0 quake shakes Northern California, Oregon, Washington and British Colombia and triggers tsunami that damages villages in Japan.
- Feb. 27, 2010: A magnitude 8.8 quake off the coast of Chile killed a still-undetermined number of people and sends a tsunami across the Pacific.
- Nov. 1, 1755: A magnitude 8.7 quake and ensuing tsunami in Lisbon, Portugal killed an estimated 60,000 people and destroyed much of Lisbon.
. . .
. . .
- Chile Earthquake: Quake Spurs Tsunami Threat
- Ring of Fire
- Pacific Ring of Fire
- Savage Earth [ANIMATION]
- Continental Drift
- View Natural Disasters [SATELITE IMAGE]