Hubble Spies a Spiral Galaxy Edge-on
NASA – The NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope has spotted the “UFO Galaxy.” NGC 2683 is a spiral galaxy seen almost edge-on, giving it the shape of a classic science fiction spaceship. This is why the astronomers at the Astronaut Memorial Planetarium and Observatory, Cocoa, Fla., gave it this attention-grabbing nickname.
While a bird’s eye view lets us see the detailed structure of a galaxy (such as this Hubble image of a barred spiral), a side-on view has its own perks. In particular, it gives astronomers a great opportunity to see the delicate dusty lanes of the spiral arms silhouetted against the golden haze of the galaxy’s core. In addition, brilliant clusters of young blue stars shine scattered throughout the disc, mapping the galaxy’s star-forming regions.
Perhaps surprisingly, side-on views of galaxies like this one do not prevent astronomers from deducing their structures. Studies of the properties of the light coming from NGC 2683 suggest that this is a barred spiral galaxy, even though the angle we see it at does not let us see this directly.
This image is produced from two adjacent fields observed in visible and infrared light by Hubble’s Advanced Camera for Surveys. A narrow strip which appears slightly blurred and crosses most the image horizontally is a result of a gap between Hubble’s detectors. This strip has been patched using images from observations of the galaxy made by ground-based telescopes, which show significantly less detail. The field of view is approximately 6.5 by 3.3 arcminutes. Image Credit: ESA/Hubble & NASA
- Galactic Views (29) (theneteconomy.wordpress.com)
- Galactic Views (32) (theneteconomy.wordpress.com)
- Galactic Views (33) (theneteconomy.wordpress.com)
Posted in Nature, Science, SPACE WATCH, Technology
Tagged Barred spiral galaxy, Galaxy, Hubble Space Telescope, Infrared, NASA, NGC 2683, Spiral galaxy, Star formation, United States
By David Lazarus – One of the most striking take-aways from this week’s U.S. Supreme Court hearings on the healthcare reform law was the steadfast insistence on the part of Republicans to deny affordable and accessible medical treatment to as many people as possible.
The party is determined to maintain the status quo of healthcare being a privilege and not a right — putting us at odds with just about every other developed nation on the planet and, not coincidentally, resulting in about 50 million people being uninsured.
As I wrote earlier this month, Republican attacks on the mandate as a threat to freedom and liberty ignore the real-world realities of the insurance business. more> http://is.gd/MWffy1
- Updates from Congressman Kevin Brady
- The Supreme Court and the GOP’s Healthcare Hypocrisy (usnews.com)
- Supreme Court likely to vote on health care law Friday, Richard Wolf, USATODAY.com
- Supreme Court again looks primed to confound a president, David G. Savage, latimes.com
- The Supreme Court will decide on the health-care law soon. It will tell you later., Robert Barnes, latimes.com
- If Supreme Court scraps health-care law, who wins politically? Linda Feldmann, CSMonitor.com
- Analysis: Obama could see silver lining if healthcare law rejected, Patricia Zengerle, Reuters
- After Supreme Court’s healthcare hearings, experts rate arguments, Carol J. Williams, latimes.com
- Law professor discusses Supreme Court’s healthcare hearings, Elizabeth Price Foley, [VIDEO 8:50] Florida International University
- Dems fume over Justice Scalia’s comments during healthcare case, Alexander Bolton, Hill
Single-payer rally (Photo credit: Public Citizen)
By Julian Pecquet – The Supreme Court’s
review of President Obama’s
healthcare reform law
is just another step on the inevitable path toward a single-payer
medical system, Rep. Dennis Kucinich
) said Monday (Mar 26, 2012).
“The cost of health care continues to grow because the costs cannot be constrained within the context of that for-profit system,” Kucinich said in a statement after the high court completed the first of three days of oral arguments on the law. “Whether the Supreme Court upholds the law or strikes it down, single-payer is the only alternative that can meet our nation’s needs.” more> http://is.gd/jEQ8AS
Posted in Business, CONGRESS WATCH, Economy, Healthcare
Tagged Barack Obama, Dennis Kucinich, Government, Health, Health care, Ohio, Single-payer health care, Supreme Court, Supreme Court of the United States, United States
CONGRESS WATCH House repeals another key provision of Obama Health Care Law, US Congress eNewsletter, US Congress Mac’s Video Mailbox: Week of March 26, YouTube [VIDEO 3:21] Related articles Updates from Congressman Mac Thornberry (theneteconomy.wordpress.com) Updates from Congressman Mac Thornberry … Continue reading
CONGRESS WATCH Vice Chairman Kevin Brady Leads Joint Economic Committee Budget Floor Debate Tonight, US Congress Brady Votes for A Budget Path Back to American Prosperity, US Congress Supreme Court Determining the Constitutionality of Health Care Act, [AUDIOx5 7:24/1:29:38/2:00:53/1:31:10/1:25:27] C-SPAN … Continue reading