Reuters – The Dutch government teetered on the verge of collapse on Monday in a crisis over budget cuts, spelling the likely end of a coalition which has strongly backed a European Union fiscal treaty and lectured Greece on getting its finances in order.
The row erupted at the weekend when the anti-EU Freedom Party refused to agree with the center-right coalition on how to cut 14 to 16 billion euros from the budget and get the Dutch deficit down to the EU target. New elections are now a near certainty.
- Opening Quotes – Irony European style (dublincallingdotnet.wordpress.com)
- Dutch austerity fails, Germany further isolated (sfgate.com)
- Netherlands Pushes for Austerity Cuts Even as Debt Crisis Deals Blow to Leadership, Paul Geitner, NYTimes.com
- Sarkozy Fights for Survival, David Gauthier-Villars and Gabriele Parussini, WSJ.com
- The French Election and the Eurocrisis, [VIDEO 16:55] Real News Network