Giant Black Hole Kicked Out of Home Galaxy
NASA – Astronomers have found strong evidence that a massive black hole is being ejected from its host galaxy at a speed of several million miles per hour. New observations from NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory suggest that the black hole collided and merged with another black hole and received a powerful recoil kick from gravitational wave radiation.
“It’s hard to believe that a supermassive black hole weighing millions of times the mass of the sun could be moved at all, let alone kicked out of a galaxy at enormous speed,” said Francesca Civano of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA), who led the new study. “But these new data support the idea that gravitational waves — ripples in the fabric of space first predicted by Albert Einstein but never detected directly — can exert an extremely powerful force.”
Although the ejection of a supermassive black hole from a galaxy by recoil because more gravitational waves are being emitted in one direction than another is likely to be rare, it nevertheless could mean that there are many giant black holes roaming undetected out in the vast spaces between galaxies.
“These black holes would be invisible to us,” said co-author Laura Blecha, also of CfA, “because they have consumed all of the gas surrounding them after being thrown out of their home galaxy.”
Civano and her group have been studying a system known as CID-42, located in the middle of a galaxy about 4 billion light years away. They had previously spotted two distinct, compact sources of optical light in CID-42, using NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope.
More optical data from the ground-based Magellan and Very Large Telescopes in Chile supplied a spectrum (that is, the distribution of optical light with energy) that suggested the two sources in CID-42 are moving apart at a speed of at least 3 million miles per hour. more> http://tinyurl.com/79gcxfj
- Do Solo Black Holes Roam the Universe? (news.sciencemag.org)
- Giant Black Hole Kicked Out of Home Galaxy (spacefellowship.com)
- Giant Black Hole Ejected Out Of Home Galaxy (freeinternetpress.com)
- Galactic Views (44) (theneteconomy.wordpress.com)
- Giant Black Hole Kicked Out of Home Galaxy. (linkybird.com)
- Giant black hole kicked out of home galaxy (phys.org)
- CID-42: Exceptional Properties (physicsforme.wordpress.com)
- Astronomers discover massive black hole careening away from its home galaxy [Astronomy] (io9.com)