By Terry McGarty – Second the Economist misrepresents the true costs of deploying fiber. This is a pandemic problem amongst policy planners which is why frankly centralized Government planning is a fundamental evil in and of itself. It is done by people who have no real experience.
As we have demonstrated before many times the cost is closer to $3500. Just the ONT, CPE, and drop cost $1500! Then you have to add the fiber plant plus all the other stuff. Where the Economist got this number is any one’s guess but it is not even close!
Fiber is costly, no matter where you deploy it. more> http://tinyurl.com/m5kuocb
- Want broadband access? Save copper infrastructure
- Verizon winds down expensive FiOS expansion
- Illinois regulators say Verizon can sell its landlines
- How high-speed broadband will be the death of Telstra
- Telstra and NBN Co: damned if they do …