By Jim Finkle – Federal investigators are looking into a report that hackers managed to remotely shut down a utility’s water pump in central Illinois last week, in what could be the first known foreign cyber attack on a U.S. industrial system.
The November 8 incident was described in a one-page report from the Illinois Statewide Terrorism and Intelligence Center, according to Joe Weiss, a prominent expert on protecting infrastructure from cyber attacks. more> http://is.gd/Cs05NO
- Apparent cyberattack destroys pump at Ill. water utility, Jaikumar Vijayan, Computerworld/Network World
- Feds investigating Illinois ‘pump failure’ as possible cyber attack (cnn.com)
- US water facility ‘was shut down by hackers’ (telegraph.co.uk)
- Russian Cyberattack on Illinois Water Plant (fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com)
- Russian Hackers Breach Central Illinois Water System (businessinsider.com)