By Hannah Hoag – What are the problems with the credit methods?
Lax verification for carbon-offset projects has been a problem for several schemes. For the credit-creating projects to be effective at reducing overall greenhouse-gas emissions, the scheme operators are supposed to approve only projects that would otherwise not have gone ahead. The auditor-general criticized the Alberta Department of Environment and Water for allowing carbon credits for emissions-reducing activities that have become common practice. more> http://is.gd/Iq2iuE
- How Canada became the world’s latest climate pariah, Brad Plumer, Washington Post
- Price on Carbon Failing to Reduce Greenhouse-Gas Emissions (scientificamerican.com)
- Clean-energy laws win cautious approval (theage.com.au)
- Greenhouse cuts are not enough, says UN report (theage.com.au)
- Alberta still needs better way to monitor cap-and-trade: auditor (calgaryherald.com)