By Matt Miller – Can we talk for a minute about redistribution of income? Just between us?
We take billions from struggling young families earning $35,000 who can barely make ends meet, let alone save for college or retirement, and use the money to pay for Social Security and Medicare benefits for seniors who earn more than $100,000.
We take billions from high-income blue states like New York and California, and ship them via federal benefits and subsidies for farming and oil to poor red states like Alabama and Oklahoma. We do this even though the recipient states mostly vote Republican and moan endlessly about getting Uncle Sam off their backs.
- Government shutdown preparations begin as funding talks stall, Ed O’Keefe, Washington Post
- Payroll tax cut and spending bill stall in Senate, raising threat of shutdown, Rosalind S. Helderman, Washington Post
- Sides plot endgame on payroll tax, Alexander Bolton, Hill
- Bill Gates says he won’t be returning to Microsoft (digitaltrends.com)
- Of Course Bill Gates Isn’t Coming Back to Microsoft (techland.time.com)