By Rep. Patrick Meehan (R-Pa.) – The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is closely monitoring social media for potential threats and hazards to the United States. Little was known about the DHS monitoring program until last month when new details became public for the first time — as a result of a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit.
Who within the government is directing the gathering of this intelligence from social media? To what extent is DHS requesting media monitoring reports targeting individuals’ reactions to controversial government policies or political decisions?
I am equally concerned that without proper congressional oversight of this initiative, DHS analysts could be spending limitless time floating on a sea of information data without any kind of intelligence-driven aim. more> http://is.gd/iQKZ8D
- DHS takes the lead in Senate cybersecurity bill, Molly Bernhart Walker, Infowars.com
- Cybersecurity Act of 2012 (Proposed), Council on Foreign Relations
- Homeland Security Manual lists key words for monitoring social media (truthaholics.wordpress.com)
- Live Blog: Homeland Security Committee Hearing on DHS Monitoring of Social Media (dissenter.firedoglake.com)
- Department Of Homeland Security Tells Congress Why It’s Monitoring Facebook, Twitter, Blogs (fastcompany.com)
- Secret documents reveal DHS lied about tracking Americans on social media | The Raw Story (faktensucher.wordpress.com)
- Lawmakers Take Closer Look at DHS’ Social Media Monitoring (geodatapolicy.wordpress.com)
- Lawmakers to Homeland Security: Social Media Monitoring Threatens Free Speech (mashable.com)
- EPIC v. Department of Homeland Security: Media Monitoring (newsworldwide.wordpress.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” DHS Stonewalls Congress On Social Media Spying (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Lawmaker Demands DHS Cease Monitoring Blogs, Social Media (wired.com)
- Lawmakers grill DHS over Twitter/Facebook monitoring of reporters’ activities (nextlevelofnews.com)