By Charles Kadlec – In one of the boldest, most audacious moves ever made by a President of the United States, President Barack Obama is on the brink of successfully rendering moot the very first clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.”
President Obama chose to pick this fight with the Catholic Church by choosing to release the regulations first, and then, as he explained in last Friday’s statement to the press, spend “the next year (before the new regulations take effect) to find an equitable solution that would protect religious liberty and insure that every woman has access to the care that she needs.” The alternative would have been to find the “equitable solution” before announcing the regulations. In other words, this entire political fire storm is a set-up by the Administration.
The original HHS ruling put the Catholic Church into the position of choosing one of these two options:
- Option A: The Church complies with the law and violates its own teachings and principles of faith.
- Option B: The Church as a matter of conscience refuses to obey the law, and stops offering health insurance to its employees.
- “Option C”: The risk to President Obama was the Church would create “Option C” and engage in a broad political battle.
President Obama’s political skill is demonstrated by his anticipation and preparation for just this outcome. more> http://tinyurl.com/78jr2dg
- Updates from Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi
- Updates from Congresswoman Renee Ellmers
- Updates from Congressman Daniel Lipinski
- Obama Plays a Game of “Piss Off The Catholic” (parkerplatform.com)
- Cardinal Dolan Blasts Contraception Rule (myfoxny.com)
- Tim Geithner Covers for Corruption On Pennsylvania Avenue, Charles Kadlec, Forbes