By Sam Baker – Even lawmakers and legal experts who correctly predicted that the court would uphold the mandate were surprised by the details of the decision and the makeup of the court’s majority. Some lawyers who worked on the case were surprised at their victories on certain points.
“I’m still surprised at how we got here. I’m sure President Obama is surprised at how we got here,” said Alberto Gonzales, who served as attorney general under President George W. Bush and helped vet Chief Justice John Roberts during the nomination process.
Roberts and the court’s liberal justices said the individual mandate is constitutional because it functions as a tax — an argument that hadn’t gotten any traction until Thursday (June 28). more> http://tinyurl.com/7qp5xxv
- Gonzales On Chief Justice’s Surprising Decision (npr.org)
- Swing Vote: Chief Justice Roberts Surprises Legal Experts (newsy.com)
- Following SCOTUS Health Care Decision, Megyn Kelly Questions Bush Official Who Vetted Justice Roberts (mediaite.com)
- Chief Justice John Roberts’ Wikipedia Page Vandalized To Describe Him As America’s ’17th Chief Traitor’ (mediaite.com)
- Chief Justice’s Critics Don’t Understand What Judges Do, Gonzales Says (wnyc.org)