By Andy Greenberg – A trio of hackers have built a tool that appears to be an innocent dry erase marker, but when inserted into the port on the bottom of a common form of hotel room keycard lock triggers the lock’s open mechanism in a fraction of a second.
“I guess we wanted to show that this sort of attack can happen with a very small, concealable device,” says Matthew Jakubowski, one of the three hotel lock hackers and a security researcher with the consultancy Trustwave. more> http://tinyurl.com/8vb8oyz
- Hackers crack hotel room locks with a tool disguised as a dry erase marker (whptv.com)
- Dry erase marker opens all hotel room doors (hackaday.com)
- Hackers Crack Hotel Room Locks With A Tool Disguised As A Dry Erase Marker (forbes.com)
- James Bond’s Dry Erase Marker: The Hotel PenTest Pen (spiderlabs.com)
- Millions of Hotel Room Locks Have a Glaring Security Flaw That Won’t Get Fixed [Security] (gizmodo.com)
- Videos Show Hackers Refining Hotel Lock Trick That Opens Millions Of Rooms (forbes.com)