The government last week reported claims fell an unusually large 30,000 to 339,000 in the October 6 week, the lowest level in more than four years. But a Labor Department official said it appeared that state-level administrative issues were distorting the data at the start of October.
One state appears to be following a different pattern than normal in reporting its claims, which led to the wild fluctuations recently, the official said. The official declined to name the state, although the Labor Department said that California was the only state in the week ending October 6 to report a decrease in claims of more than 1,000. more> http://tinyurl.com/9uvl6jy
- Jobless claims jump, government flags seasonal factors (news.terra.com)
- US Jobless Claims Rise 46000 on Seasonal Shift – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- Weekly Jobless Claims Rise, Technical Issues Cited (dailyfinance.com)
- About That Jobs Report…Updated: Jobless claims dropped because BLS omitted California (hotair.com)
- Which State Distorted Jobless Claims Data? (blogs.wsj.com)