Sea Ice Off Eastern Greenland
NASA – The MODIS instrument on NASA’s Aqua satellite captured this visible image of Sea Ice off eastern Greenland on October 16, 2012. Image Credit: NASA/GSFC/Jeff Schmaltz/MODIS Land Rapid Response Team
SLIDE SHOW (34)
By Justin Sink – The 2012 presidential race, once viewed as a dreary grind of a contest, has picked up a surprising amount of intensity this month.
Just a few weeks ago, the race was perhaps most remarkable for how unremarkable it was.
“The first debate was clearly a watershed moment,” said Democratic strategist Jamal Simmons. “It brought home a number of Republicans who might have been on the fence. And for Democrats, it’s shaken us out of our overconfidence stupor, and people realized this is going to be a tough fight.”
“Americans like winners,” Republican strategist Ford O’Connell said. “There is no better cure for a lack of enthusiasm than instilling the belief in voters that a candidate can win.” more> http://tinyurl.com/8opl7yv
- Once-listless presidential race attracts intensity in closing weeks (thehill.com)
- Tactics set, Obama, Romney hurtle toward finish (news.yahoo.com)
- 2 weeks and 1 debate to go, Obama banks on turnout machine while Romney … – Calgary Herald (calgaryherald.com)
- 2012 Presidential Race: The second Obama-Romney debate (links) (oregonlive.com)
- For President, a Complex Calculus of Race and Politics, Jodi Kantor, NYTimes.com
- Romney walks cautious line on foreign policy, Afghanistan, Maeve Reston, latimes.com
- Enough already: voters hit with ads, calls, more, Nancy Benac and Philip Elliot, Associated Press
- Presidential debates favor style over substance, Gordon L. Weil, Journal Tribune
- Third Presidential Debate: Reader Photos Of Florida’s Great Outdoors, Alexander Eichler, huffingtonpost.com
- Campaign Boils Down to Door-to-Door Voter Drives, Trip Gabriel, NYTimes.com
- Around the world, perceptions of Obama-Romney contest lag reality, Michael Birnbaum and Keith B. Richburg, Washington Post
- Third Obama-Romney debate sets stage for final campaign push, Niall Stanage, Hill
By John McManus – SO NEAR, yet so far. Just when a transformational deal on Ireland’s historic bank debts was within our grasp, the German chancellor seems to have dashed our hopes.
Or has she?
Finding a Germany-friendly way to deal with the other €30 billion odd of bank-related debt is a little trickier. This is pure Irish sovereign debt, even though the money was ploughed into AIB, Bank of Ireland and Irish Permanent as equity to shore up their capital.
The plan here seems to be for the new rescue fund to take equity stakes in the so-called pillar banks. The Government would then use the cash to repay sovereign debt. more> http://tinyurl.com/9vckvkq
Posted in Banking, Economy, Leadership
Tagged Angela Merkel, Capital, Chancellor of Germany, Financial crisis, Germany, Government, Industrial economy, Ireland, Monetary policy, Super regions
International Telecommunications Union, Geneva. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
ARTICLE 19 – One of the key questions that will be examined at WCIT is whether or not ‘ICTs’ or the Internet should fall within the scope of the ITRs.
As the ITU has traditionally operated under a very closed-up, top-down decision-making process, civil society groups are concerned that the ITR review process might be used to fundamentally change the multi-stakeholder model that has been the hallmark of Internet governance up until now. There is also a concern that this process will have a detrimental impact on the open Internet, freedom of expression and access to information. more> http://tinyurl.com/93zcyuc
Posted in Broadband, Business, Economy, Media, Net, telecom
Tagged Bill of Rights, Civil society, First Amendment, ICANN, Information and communications technology, International Telecommunication Union, Internet, Internet governance, ITU, United States
CONGRESS WATCH Meehan Presents Long Overdue Medals to World War II Army Veteran, US Congress Meehan Questions State Department Witnesses on Security Failures in Benghazi, YouTube [VIDEO 9:52] Meehan Discusses Libya Security Failures on Huckabee, YouTube [VIDEO 5:27] Fox News: … Continue reading
CONGRESS WATCH No Budget, No Pay (House), No Labels