By Amit Ghate – Culture, “the ideas, customs, skills, arts, etc. of a people or group, that are transferred, communicated, or passed along, as in or to succeeding generations”. Accordingly, our culture rests on the ideas that we adopt, as these determine the other values, skills and customs we uphold.
Yet not a single one of us inherits our ideas. We each choose which to accept or reject through a process of learning.
America was understood to be, and lauded for being, the land of freedom and opportunity, both by those already here, and those arriving. As a result, 19th century America was perhaps the most intellectually active and economically dynamic culture the world has ever seen. more> http://tinyurl.com/culs6dv
- A Culture-War Waterloo on Immigration : The New Yorker (policyabcs.wordpress.com)
- A More Diverse GOP (theamericanconservative.com)
- Obama promises to push for comprehensive immigration reform by January (timesunion.com)
- Immigration Reinvigorates the American Dream, Some Republicans Wrongly Focus on Immigration as a Border Issue (reason.com)
- Assimilation, not amnesty (michellemalkin.com)
- Mo Brooks on GOP calls for immigration reform: Only if future includes ‘catch illegal aliens and deport them’ program (al.com)