By Nelson Lichtenstein – Unions stand at the core of the Democratic coalition today. They are the last organizations remaining on the liberal side that can effectively appeal to white, working-class men in the Rust Belt swing states. They were crucial to President Barack Obama’s victory there.
Break unions’ political power now by stripping them of the ability to raise the funds needed to hire staff, mobilize voters and keep up liberal pressure on state and local officials in the months after the election. Even as Citizens United allows many conservatives to raise unlimited funds, Democratic Party prospects are likely to plummet — turning Michigan as steadily red as Texas.
Events in Michigan have now put us on the path to a most dangerous experiment. more> http://tinyurl.com/buwy2tk
- Big Labor Bosses Make Way More than Michigan Workers (nationalreview.com)
- Victory for Conservatives in Michigan: The Right to Work (matthewtuininga.wordpress.com)
- An Unholy Union (personalliberty.com)
- Michigan’s Accommodation to Reality (realclearpolitics.com)
- Michigan Right to Work, Illegal Immigration, and the Working-Class Wage (guardianlv.com)
- Obama’s Tacit Approval of the violence in Michigan (americanthinker.com)
- Movement overreach in Michigan (politicsoutdoors.com)
- Four Reasons Michigan’s Union-Busting Law Is A GOP Coup (alternet.org)
- Republican lawmaker’s proposal exempted husband from Michigan ‘right to work’ law (rawstory.com)