By Ellen Messmer – “Rogue clouds” occur if sales and marketing people, for example, order up Salesforce.com without bothering to consult IT or set up Dropbox with outside vendors to share sensitive information. It’s happening to three-quarters of those using cloud, according to the survey, and it occurs more in large enterprises (83%) than in small to midsize ones (70%).
“There is a tremendous difference in this area between enterprises (which are utilizing 26% of their storage) and SMBs (which use a shockingly low 7%). This is a costly mistake, as organizations are paying for roughly six times as much storage as they actually need,” the survey report states.
- ‘Rogue clouds’ giving IT staffs nightmares (computerworld.co.nz)
- ‘Rogue Clouds’ Giving IT Staffs Nightmares (cio.com)
- ‘Rogue clouds’ giving IT staffs nightmares (pcadvisor.co.uk)
- Symantec: Rogue clouds cause confidential data exposure in business (zdnet.com)
- Symantec Global Survey Reveals Upsurge in Rogue Clouds and Other Hidden Costs (socialmediaportal.com)
- Symantec Global Survey Reveals Upsurge in Rogue Clouds and Other Hidden Costs (sys-con.com)
- Why Cloud Computing Is About More Than Just Data Centers (theneteconomy.wordpress.com)
- How to Avoid the Cloud’s Hidden Costs (entrepreneur.com)
- 6 Hidden Costs of Cloud and How to Avoid Them (cio.com)
- Top 4 myths of cloud computing, Heinan Landa, Washington Business Journal